Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Success 101: Career Choice

"I will be a firefighter". Little R proudly said.

Today, the kids were asked to share what they want to be when they grow up.

Little M shouted... "I will be a Nurse like my Mom!" And she did a little twirl like she always does when she feels she said something important.

After 10 minutes all the kids have shared what they want to be when they grow up except shy K. He remained quiet the whole time his friends were saying their dreams one after another. He seemed uninterested and unaffected.

Mrs. R, my Classroom Teacher whom I was assigned to assist finally called him out. "Do you have anything to share K?" The whole class shifted their eyes to him and silence engulfed Room 12.

"I want to rob a bank when I grow up!"

The deafening silence remained for 5 minutes until the bell rang that signaled it's time for lunch.

-----------------------------------------------------

Teachers are faced with different things, situations and problems all the time. How we deal with them is always a learning experience.

Yes, we don't stop learning when we graduate from college and receive our diploma and got licensed to teach. [SPOILER ALERT!] LOL.

We continue to learn a whole new lessons each time we teach our students.
 
I swear I didn't want to be a teacher. I didn't go to college to be a teacher. But fate led me there. Fate brought me to the door of the classroom. And that fate gave me happiness that I would have not known if I stayed in the corporate world.

Each day in the classroom is a challenge. Each day is a struggle both for me and my students. The challenges are endless and getting harder and harder with each lessons we tackle. But with each lessons we teach our students, no matter how hard we work to make a great impact on them, will only make sense if our students chose to take them. We can only do so much. It is up to them to take it or... leave it.

Being an optimistic as I am, I know that reality is a path that my students travel to from home to school... and back. And reality could be a place that they found both in school or at home or neither. It could also be possible that "reality" is in the heart of our students. And for some of them, they may not give us the chance to look at it for fear of being "judged". Sad but true.

Who knows what the shy K was thinking when he said that - he wanted to be a robber? Who knows if he is eating 3 square meals a day? Who knows if he is sleeping in a warm bed at night and not worrying if he will be able to ride a beautiful white unicorn instead of battling monsters in his dreams? Who knows if he has clean clothes and dry shoes to wear to school? Who knows?

As a teacher, we cannot turn a blind eye on situations involving our students especially when deep in our hearts we know that there is something wrong with them and that they need help. It is in our genes to worry and look for solutions to the problems concerning our students. And sadly, we have limitations!

As teachers, we can only do so much. Our limitations as educators and as human beings can sometimes hold us back to do the best we could to mold our future generation.

- Ruthi Orona-Gregoire


----------------------------Ruthilicious-------------------------------

Ruthilicious... absent in the Classroom, present in the Chatroom. She blogs when she is NOT Facebooking doing chores and she blogs while she is ALSO Facebooking doing chores.

To read more about her Teaching-Learning Experience... Click HERE.

2 comments:

Judy SheldonWalker said...

Deep! I worked in head start with a little boy one day who kept acting out. Every time I intervened as he pushed, pinched, and kicked other toddlers I could see his anger mounting. The head teacher picked up her cell and told him she would have to call his father. He says go ahead, rolls his eyes and tells the class his father was taken away by the policemen that morning for hitting his mom. Who knows?

betchai said...

Ahhh, I would not know how to address that situation too, indeed, it is very hard to be a teacher, but the joy and happiness within from seeing the child take something from our lessons, may it be in the academics or the value we model is priceless as well.

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover