Wednesday, September 11, 2013

AHA Moment: I Can Write B!

"Hold your pencil still..." I told little B as I did a hand-over-hand technique to guide his tiny hand.

"Then, draw a stick down like this..." still holding his sweaty hand as he carefully followed the lined paper in front of him.

"Now, draw two half circles on top of each other." I continued as he patiently listening to my instruction while moving his little fingers through the direction of my big hand.
The silence in the room was not typical for a Kindergarten class. I was expecting that it would be more chaotic considering that having twenty 5 and 6 years old children are capable of creating chaos in one single moment. But then no, they have been so quiet for more than 10 minutes now as they practice writing their names.

Then, my little guy suddenly broke that silence without warning... and shouted on top of his lung... "I CAN WRITE B!"

Then, little B threw his little arms to me and wrapped me in a soft warm hug pressing is little cute face on my belly and looking up to me saying... "You're the best Mrs. G!"


-----------------------------------------------------

Scenarios like these are very common to Kindergarten teachers. It isn't for me. I was a High School teacher for over 11 years back home. I was used to having my students celebrate their new found knowledge by giving each other high fives and giving me a "thumbs up". That is when they remember to acknowledge my presence at all. wink*

Don't get me wrong. I love my High School students. They are the best. I still get in touch with them up to now. Some of them still contact me even if they already have kids of their own or successful managers of some multinational companies at home or abroad. And some of them still consider me as their "favorite teacher" even if they are already teachers themselves.

But the little ones surprise me to no end from day one of my job. I never thought I can work with the little ones until I came face to face with them. For some reason, the little ones scared the wits out of me. I don't know why but they are kinda intimidating to me. LOL.

But yes, they are so adorable. Their simple needs and wants make simple things wonderful. They taught me how to be contented with what I have and appreciate the simple joys that simple things provide. They gave me a sense of fulfillment with what little I got and work on it to fit my needs.

Their appreciation for small things make me feel so small and ambitious. And I guess as adults we need that. We need to feel that small things can be considered as big. That small things don't make us small or irrelevant as a person. ON the hindsight, that big things don't make one powerful. We need to be reminded that big dreams are okay to achieve as long as you don't forget to have fun achieving them. Or worse acquire them through wrong deeds.

And despite the endless whining and countless tattling and the crying over simple things, I learned to deal with my own negativities in life because whining and tattling and crying over my frustrations and failures in life made me feel childish. wink*** So as I watched them bounced back to being happy kids after the whining and tatting and crying... it made me realize that it is somehow easy to bounce back from my own issues that crippling me to be a happy person. I only need to face them with childlike manners.

And yes, they are so cute and innocent. [I just wish they will remain that way until they graduate in High School.] They are not afraid to try new things out. They don't care about the result of what their choices will bring them.  And if they fail, they can laugh it out or cry or just forget it yet keep the faith that someday they will succeed. Failing or quiting seemed NOT an option for them - be it in the playground or in the classroom. And they know how to celebrate those simple achievements like crazy.

YES, those little fellows can teach us teachers lessons in life that are not in our lesson plans. They can teach us the basics that are long-forgotten when we learned the most complicated lessons like rocket science. And advancement in science diminished our fascination for the simple things. Life will no longer be basic or simple or plain once they step out of the Kindergarten classroom.

As teachers, we cannot stop it. We can only wish that they will remain - in Kindergarten mode.



Contentment is a "big word" for Kindergärtners and yet they know it by heart. Contentment is a "lost word" for Adults... and I'm afraid - it will never be found.

- Ruthi Orona-Gregoire


----------------------------Ruthilicious-------------------------------

Ruthilicious... absent in the Classroom, present in the Chatroom. She blogs when she is NOT Facebooking doing chores and she blogs while she is ALSO Facebooking doing chores.

To read more about her Teaching-Learning Experience... Click HERE.

2 comments:

betchai said...

oh that is so sweet, I love little kids but I do not have credentials to teach little kids, and I am too lazy these days to study for another credentialing program and I am afraid it will take me longer because I never had little kids psychology of learning :( but then, i love my big kids too, but they hesitate to give me a hug when they are happy, though some of them, they do ask, "Mrs. L, can I give youa hug?" when they are happy with what they learned. I love them!

kulasa zen said...

So "B"eautifully written Ruthistah! Please teach me to write over again. . .nurses say I write like an alien :)
P.S. I didn't make it to the fun run. . .chose to oversleep and glad I did bec am too busy at work now. . .but still blog walking hehe thanks to smartphones.. love yah!

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover