Wednesday, August 28, 2013

AHA Moment: The Teacher Who is NOT

This is my 3rd year working as Ed. Tech.

This year I will be assigned in 2nd Grade Classroom. It will surely be a challenge for me because I worked in Kindergarten Classroom two years in a row since I got hired. AND I know those kids are fast learners. I had some of them when they were in Kindergarten.

As the year went by, I found them completely new persons since they graduated from Kindergarten. Yes, my students changed since they stepped up to the next level.

They transformed into new human beings after one semester leaving their cuteness in the Kindergarten Classrooms behind. [If you know what I mean.].

Just a hindsight, you know. LOL
As an Educational Technician, I can only say what I observe. Yes, I am a Teacher Assistant here and not a full-pledged teacher. And I love my job. It's the best job in the world. I don't mind assisting the teachers because I believe each one of them needs assistant. They are over-worked, tired and underpaid. They need a raise. Seriously!

But even if I am not a full-pledged Teacher now... which is by the way, my personal choice [I can take a refresher course to be able to take Teacher's Board Exam to get licensed, but Nah!] I still feel I am a teacher. It is in-bedded in the very marrows of my bones. It is running in my veins. And I can feel it in my muscles. Yes, I am a Teacher! Alive and kicking.

I may not be taking a lead role in the classroom but I know in my heart that I too make a difference in the learning process of my students. I may not be in front of the class giving directions but I am an important person who helps the teacher carry out his instruction to the learners. And I may not be directly dealing with problems in the classroom, with the students and the parents [whew, I'm so glad!] but I can contribute in solving them.

And even if I am not a real Teacher...my optimism for our younger generation remains the same since the first time I took that special spot in front of the classroom 11 years ago. My optimism for those young learners is high and will remain that way as long as I live because this is what teachers do. We live not only to teach but to dream dreams for our students.

As a Teacher... our job is to mold them and prepare them and equip them with the basic lessons and skills in life that will lead them in the right directions. It is in our job description to help them achieve and be successful individuals so that once they leave the classroom, we don't need to worry and think... where are they going from here?

"As Teachers... we know that from the very start we held their hands and guided them to write their first letters, we didn't just teach them the basics of writing and counting - we taught them how to make good choices that will lead them to the right direction."

- Ruthi Orona-Gregoire


----------------------------Ruthilicious-------------------------------

Ruthilicious... absent in the Classroom, present in the Chatroom. She blogs when she is NOT Facebooking doing chores and she blogs while she is ALSO Facebooking doing chores.

To read more about her Teaching-Learning Experience... Click HERE.

1 comment:

Jim said...

You are a teacher, Ruthi, just not licensed. Those kids and their other teachers need you and people like you.
..

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover