Wednesday, December 7, 2011

OMG Moment: The Teacher's Alibi

Once a teacher… always a teacher. I believe in that.

Though I am not in the teaching profession right now and doing everything to avoid teaching… I can feel deep in my heart that one day I will be back in the classroom. And even if I had tons of alibis to really stay away from being a teacher… I can sense that deep in my guts that one day I will be back teaching again.

Well, you may ask… “Yeah, why not teach?

Didn’t I say I have tons of alibis? Yes, I did and I can give you one.

1. Need to get certified first before I could teach here in the US.

“So why not get certified, then?” You may ask.

Then I will answer, “because I am still thinking if I want to teach High School here in the US“. [That’s my number 2. Alibi.]

You see, I was a former High School Teacher back home. And from where I came from, high school students are easy to handle. Don’t get me wrong. I am not saying that HS students here are not easy to handle. There are other factors that I need to consider like… their culture, their physical attributes, and language barrier just to name a few.

The Cultural Aspect.

I think I still need to learn American culture more so that I can adapt to my future students’ way of thinking, way of life, personal orientation, individual idiosyncrasies and behavioral pattern. Knowing all this will give me square and fair chance to deal with them on personal and professional level. Having an understanding of their culture will help me design a teaching strategies that can cater to their needs and to get positive result. But then, at this point in time… I am still in culture shock so I need more time for that.

- The Physical Aspect

I am a small woman. Being an Asian, we have that physical attribute to being vertically challenged. I am barely 5 feet in height and obviously, when I teach HS kids, my students are taller than me. You may think that this is very insignificant. But with my stature, it is. Their height is too intimidating and I am scared that they will crash me to death when I fail them or pin me on the wall when I give them difficult assignments. It’s either they kill me or I kill them first. hahahaha I am just kidding. But of course, those are just my other alibis to avoid teaching. LOL

- The Language Aspect.

English is not my first language. Though I teach English subject in HS, my training and knowledge is not enough to give me the confidence to teach American kids. And though I am confident with my grammar and spelling of English words… I have problems with correct “accent” and proper “diction”. Right now, I am still learning in that aspect too. My kids at work are my teachers. I am trying to learn from 5 to 11 year old kids at work on how to pronounce common words. It is imperative for me to be able to speak the way they do so that they will be able to understand me better. Right now, I am struggling in that department. I am having a hard time telling my kids to do things. I don’t know if they don’t understand what I am saying or they are just having a hard time listening.

So there you go. Those are really my alibis… and for what’s it worth… I am just procrastinating because… I can!

----------------------------Ruthilicious-------------------------------

Ruthilicious... absent in the Classroom, present in the Chatroom. She blogs when she is NOT Facebooking doing chores and she blogs while she is ALSO Facebooking doing chores.

To read more about her Teaching-Learning Experience... Click HERE.

3 comments:

rainfield61 said...

What can I say?

"Good teachers, have lesson plans.

Bad teachers, have blogs."

betchai said...

indeed, Ruthi, why not teach? I know you will make a great one here, for I know you already are great one, in your heart and you have many attributes that will make you really one great effective teacher.

Judy SheldonWalker said...

I am sure you will do very well. It may encourage them to take a second language seeing how well you do; it is within grasp. As far as size, children now a days can be terrifying and teachers are not allowed to intimidate back; that's why I preferred subbing in head start. I could manage those students (usually) and I am tall.

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover