Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Subject Matter: Parenting

“He was still speaking, when lo, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” (Matthew 17:5)

The place was in chaos as expected. It was one of those commencement exercises that came to an end. And as expected graduates, parents, teachers and friends alike were bumping, greeting, posing, shouting, laughing… making the entire social hall a totally chaotic place on earth.

Ma’am, the valedictorian is my son.” a proud father told me, as we walked towards the exit door.

Well, congratulations then“… was all I said and quickly joined my colleagues leaving the graduation venue.

[It was a scene during our Graduation Day when I was still a teacher.]

I want you to take good care of him!” pointing at the young hand-cupped blond teenager, Horacio Cain told the big black inmate as they were ushered to the prison cell.

And why would I do that?” the inmate asked him.

Because…” Horacio replied, “he is my son!

[It was a scene in one of the TV episodes of CSI:Miami]

------------------------------------------

All fathers [and mothers] are always proud of their children, even the not-so-good ones. I cannot think of anything to compare a parent’s love to one’s child. But if there is one thing I know… that the child learns love from home first and foremost.

A child, before he enters our classroom had already learned values that any exceptional teacher can’t altered. Being a teacher, we can teach him lessons in life but we cannot un-teach him the lessons that he already learned in life. We can provide him with choices but we can’t choose for him. And we can almost always influence his way of life but we cannot lead his life for him.

Being a teacher… we are also considered as parents to our students. And being so, we have the responsibilities similar to their biological parents. But even so, we cannot replace them even if there are times that our students prefer us from their own parents.

It is not just the mystery of life… it is life.

----------------------------Ruthilicious-------------------------------

Ruthilicious... absent in the Classroom, present in the Chatroom. She blogs when she is NOT Facebooking doing chores and she blogs while she is ALSO Facebooking doing chores.

To read more about her Teaching-Learning Experience... Click HERE.

1 comment:

Aio Kona said...

Hi! I saw the link to your page in Zen's blog. I love your articles. I agree with you that our mothers are our very first teachers. My mom was an accountant and I guess I did not inherit the gene for being good in Math, despite all the tutoring and hands on coaching. haha. Oh well, I just want to say that you have earned yourself a regular reader. I also have some pieces to share, feel free to visit - www.bornadragon.blogspot.com

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover