Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Success 101: Unteaching the Teacher

The hardest lesson I learned from being a teacher is… to unteach myself.

Life is a teaching-learning process and the world is your classroom. And being an educator is not just a profession (I wish it was)… it is a lifetime commitment. The compensation is not much (I really really wish it was) but huge in other “fringe and intangible” benefits.

I became a teacher, accidentally. I have other plans in my life [something grand] but my calling was in this field (or so I thought.) I was never good with kids but the kids are good to me… so we compromised. I love to talk and they taught me to listen. It has some drawbacks but I was always compensated by the non-materials things. At the end of the day, I was tired but appreciated.

During my first year of teaching, when my idealism was still high… I outdone myself in all aspects of my personal life. My creativity amazed me to no end. I was so much inspired and tired-less. And for the first time in my adult life, I love what I was doing.

Students come and go. As a teacher, it was not in our job description to invest on personal relationship with our students. But somehow, it helps a lot in making a good foundation on human relationship as a whole.

For sometime, I thought getting their trust and respect is worth the investment. It makes it easier to teach them and make them do what you tell them to do. That way, your work is done quickly and effortlessly. So, no need for re-teaching classes so it means - less work and more rest.

For awhile, I guessed it was not a bad idea at all. If you were nice to your students, you are sure that they are not making fun of you when you are not around or making faces when you are not looking.

For a moment, I learned that they are also capable of graduating from being a student to being a friend. But this has consequences that one has to deal with. And I learned that too late.

Being a teacher never prepared me for success – my students’, that is. Success for me was no big deal. I can’t even claim that I am successful because people’s idea of success is varied and always changing. But one thing is sure - success changes a person.

Just like any other profession, there are some downsides in being a teacher. The investment you put in your personal relationship with your students are hard lessons to learn… to un-learn them is not an option.

----------------------------Ruthilicious-------------------------------

Ruthilicious... absent in the Classroom, present in the Chatroom. She blogs when she is NOT Facebooking doing chores and she blogs while she is ALSO Facebooking doing chores.

To read more about her Teaching-Learning Experience... Click HERE.

1 comment:

Self Sagacity said...

It is great to learn more about you. I believe it is true for a lot of people that we accidentally fall into our careers.

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover