Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Subject Matter: Boring Subject

I taught Asian History in High School.

History is not the kind of subject that kids would usually find interesting. I hated that subject myself when I was in High School. And little did I know that I will become a teacher someday… much less a History teacher for that matter.

History is the kind of subject that you always find so relaxing… so calming… so comforting because you tend to fall asleep during this period. I usually get reprimanded by my History teacher back in High School because she always caught me sleeping on my desk in the middle of the discussion.

History is the kind of subject that kids would usually skip… play hookie… or drop out because it’s boring. I usually got an F on tests and quizzes because I can’t memorize important dates, events and significant people who made significant impact in history.

And so I taught History subject in High School.

Equipped with my personal bitter-and-not-so-promising-nor-noteworthy experience with the infamous subject, I tried to innovate. I tried to make learning History fun and interesting. I was able to make it more interactive and exciting. I made it more enjoyable for fear that my students would also fall asleep in the middle of my discussion. I can’t afford to give Karma a chance in my class.

One of the innovations that I injected in my lesson planning is the Election Season. I let my students have a mock election as an activity where they were able to experience how to register as voters, campaign as political candidates, count votes as election staffers, and stay vigilant as citizens waiting for the result of the election.

It was a learning experience for both my students and me. Looking back I remember that I always taught my students at the end of the culminating activity only one thing… “What you learned now is not just a lesson for today but rather, a preparation for the future.”

Our Youth is the future leaders of our nation. If we will be able to instill good values and well-grounded principles and ideals in their early age, we can be sure that we will have the best people to lead us. And History will no longer be just a boring subject but an important venue in creating an ideal society.

----------------------------Ruthilicious-------------------------------

Ruthilicious... absent in the Classroom, present in the Chatroom. She blogs when she is NOT Facebooking doing chores and she blogs while she is ALSO Facebooking doing chores.

To read more about her Teaching-Learning Experience... Click HERE.

2 comments:

♥~Judy~♥ said...

I love that the students have an opportunity to interact with someone as motivated, dedicated, innovative and caring as you.

God bless you!

I Love-Hate America by Bing said...

I love Asian History and if I were your student...I would love it even more. :-)

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover