Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Homework: Former Students

One of my greatest joy as a teacher is when my former students still remember me after so many years of being away from their dear Alma Mater. It makes me proud being their teacher. Some of them are very verbal about how I made a difference in their lives. But what they don’t realize is that they also made a big difference in mine.

Last week when I went for my regular run I came up with a new idea to get in touch with my former students. You see, I used to be the adviser and moderator of our school paper. I trained students for the inter-school contest in campus journalism and I am proud to say that we always bring home awards. My students enjoyed writing as much as I do. We went through a lot putting up the school paper and the experience brought out the best in us.

It has been over 10 years now since the last school paper that was published under my supervision. Now, it is managed by one of my former students who is now a teacher herself in the same school where I taught. Though I still contribute an article in the paper every now and then, I still miss the familiar headache that my students caused me every time we are coming up with an issue. And just last week, out of my delirious excitement I contacted my former student and told her that I wanted to give an award on graduation day for the gradating Editor-in-Chief of the School Paper. Well, it's just my way of inspiring our younger generation to write and express their talent to achieve literary excellence.



----------------------------Ruthilicious-------------------------------

Ruthilicious... absent in the Classroom, present in the Chatroom. She blogs when she is NOT Facebooking doing chores and she blogs while she is ALSO Facebooking doing chores.

To read more about her Teaching-Learning Experience... Click HERE.

3 comments:

Self Sagacity said...

You have to teach me how to blog while doing chores. :-) That's sweet of you to want to connect with your students again, what a great teacher.

♥~Judy~♥ said...

My BB hooked up my wireless modem. Look out world!! But then the doctor warned me that I need to cut back on writing and get more rest because of my bp. Can I cut back on work instead?

betchai said...

oh Ruthi, that is why it is no surprise to me why writing is so easy for you and you can maintain so many blogs, quality writing is your game and a piece of cake. proud of what you have thought, of giving an award to the editor in chief in your school paper.

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover