Wednesday, March 9, 2011

AHA Moment: The Out-of-School Teacher

This is my fifth year as an out-of-school teacher. If we have what we call “out-of-school youth” [school-age kids who are not in school for varied reasons like – poverty, truancy, and lost of interest just to name a few] we also have what we call “out-of-school teachers” [educators who supposed to be in classroom teaching but they are not for varied reasons like – change of residence, status, career or migration just to name a few ]. Out-of school teachers are those who are deprived of their rights to perform the greatest passion of their life.

For almost five years now, the classroom is the only place I have not been to [except when I need to meet with my step-son’s teachers]. For 11 long years of teaching in the public high school, I realized the importance of my role as a mentor and a teacher not only to my students but for myself as well. The decision I made 12 years ago to join the educational field is indeed the best decision I made so far. The change of career changed my outlook in life. And the career shift opened up to me a different understanding for learning.

I may not be well-compensated for the work I’ve done [monetary wise], but the intangible benefits of seeing my students graduate… earn a degree… start a family… leave the country to seek greener pastures… build their own dreams and achieving them… and reaping success one after another – to me is the most important rewards I’ve ever had. For I believe that their success – is also mine.

11 years have passed and the lessons of the past are still fresh. The special bonds I had with my former students are still tight. The special relationship we had is still intact. And the respect we have for one another is still present. Most of them are still grateful and always looking back. Some have gone the other way and chose not to look back. But there are still a few who keep in touch to continue the learning process.

11 years have passed still some of my students never fail to amaze me. They are still as hungry for knowledge as they used to. 11 years have passed but they still remember the lessons I taught them. 11 years have passed and they are still willing to learn new things from me. And so I thought that my job is already over after the last bell. I thought my job is done after they closed the books. I thought my job ended after they left the classroom. Apparently, a teacher’s job is never done until her students stop learning. And so my work continues even after I left school and become an out-of-school teacher.

----------------------------Ruthilicious-------------------------------

Ruthilicious... absent in the Classroom, present in the Chatroom. She blogs when she is NOT Facebooking doing chores and she blogs while she is ALSO Facebooking doing chores.

To read more about her Teaching-Learning Experience... Click HERE.

1 comment:

Judy Sheldon-Walker said...

Ruthi, how about what is happening to teachers in Wisconsin? Teachers are my heroes.

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover