Sunday, August 16, 2009

obedience


"And Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her." (Luke 1:38)

I remember my mother would always say to me... "Why can't you just do it?" everytime she would ask me to do something. I am not really lazy, I was just inquisitive. I would always ask question first before following orders. Before following her order I would first asked her... "Why?" And it would pissed her off everytime I did that. She wanted me to follow her without questions. "Why won't you be just a good obedient girl like everybody else?", she would asked next.

When the angel Gabriel announced to Mary that she is chosen to be the mother of Jesus, she didn't ask why... she only asked how it will happen. It only proved that she was indeed a smart girl just wanting to know the real situation she will be put in. And knowing the real consequences of the predicament she was presented with, she accepted without doubt.

Mary was a real obedient girl. She knows the consequences that she will be facing once she gives her consent but still she accepted it. She obeyed God's order. She followed what she was told. She accepted her fate. And for this, salvation became possible to humanity. Because of Mary's obedience, Jesus was made flesh and became our savior.

Mary is not only a smart girl. She is brave and strong. And I am not like her. There are times that I would chicken out when I am given a great responsibility for fear that I will fail. I am afraid to do something I was asked to do for fear that people will be disappointed when things turn out to be a failure. And I am scared that when things go downhill people will blame me. I don't have that strong faith that can move mountain.

But God have faith in me. His faith in me makes me strong. Like Mary, I just need to believe in that faith so I will be able to say "YES" too and accept my responsibility with more confidence and trust.


No comments:

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover