Friday, November 7, 2008

The Last Breakfast

He woke me up a little late than usual that early morning of March 1996. The sun was already up and blinding my eyes as it flooded my room with warm bright light. It was already a quarter passed six in the morning and it was not a good sign. It meant that I was already late for work. So, I hurriedly jumped out of my bed and sprinted my way to the bathroom. The cold water instantaneously woke my sleeping consciousness up and that gave me my needed tug to come around. My time in the bathroom was short compared to my normal routine. After the quick cold bath, I did everything I got to do that morning all so quickly to get things done with the little time I had in my hand.

As I was coming down the stairs I saw him sitting on the coach with his hands on his head and his elbows leaning on his knees. He seemed not feeling well. I thought maybe he was just still sleepy. He was usually up by 3 in the morning and already working on some printing orders in his workshop while the rest of the world was still sound asleep. He would prepare breakfast at around 4 o’clock while Minerva [the printing machine] was still running and printing on its own. He usually woke me up around 4:30 AM so I could take a warm bath because I still need to get the heater ready for that. I was usually having breakfast by 5:30 AM and out of the house [with my packed lunch which he also prepared as he made my breakfast] by quarter to six. And when I come home from work at around 6 pm, a warm and hearty supper was already waiting for me to feast on.

He woke me up a little late that morning. Unlike before, he did not walk me to the door like he used to do every morning when I leave for work. And that morning I vividly hear what he said as I was about to walk to the door. I can vividly remember he said… "I guess you have to make your own breakfast tomorrow."

It was indeed the last breakfast that he cooked for me and the last breakfast that I would ever treasure… because that night Dad passed away.

10 comments:

piebuko said...

that is just so sad...
Why did he say that? Did he know that he was going to pass away? Was he not feeling good?

MRMacrum said...

My mom called me from California a couple of days before she passed. Old, depressed, and ailing, she said she just wanted to talk. Like so many of her calls, I listened but did not hear. She was saying goodbye.

Your post brought that memory back.

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

That's sad. Odd that he said that, he must have sensed it.

Lethe said...

just dropping by to say hello . . .

BURAOT said...

syeks. senti mode pala ang blog mo na to. parang yung isang blog ko. i missed my dad too.

Vincent Bautista said...

oh my... what a sad post... I'm sorry for your loss. Maybe we do get to know when we're going to go to the other world already...

Anyway, hope you take care always.

nice said...

mare ano kaba oi,pinaiyak mo ko masyado.bait naman ng tatay mo,It seems like he made it up to you guys no'ng nag retured na cya at alaga kayong mabuti sa kanya.ang bait nya talaga at mapagmahal pa.I feel so much guilt kasi tatay ko inaway ko,'til now hindi ko pa cya kinibo kasi maluko din sometimes although mabait naman cya kung away from evil's influence.I feel bad kasi kahit papaano papa ko pa rin cya and kung may masamang mangyari sa kanya im sure masaktan din ako ng subra.I feel bad kasi kahit papaano may kabutihan din akong ma remember from him.I feel so much guilt kasi I don't want to think na ano kaya ang last thing I can remember sa papa ko.Mahal ko papa ko even if masakit ang loob ko sa kanya.

s said...

hi!

i miss my dad too

it's been 6 years...

crizet dilla said...

That was so sad.. Isn't it ironic? Could people really feel that it's their last day in this world? An hour before my dad passed away, he never show me a sign that he is leaving. I'd just so the tears in his eyes before he collapsed.

crizet dilla said...

That was so sad.. Isn't it ironic? Could people really feel that it's their last day in this world? An hour before my dad passed away, he never show me a sign that he is leaving. Then I just saw the tears falling in his cheek before he collapsed. 4 years ago May 17, 2005

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover