Sunday, February 17, 2008

... love my... "whutt?"


Today's reading is taken from the Gospel of Matthew 5:44-45. "But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust".

Every good Christian with enemies know about this. Every good Christian who wants to go to heaven is trying very hard to follow it. And every good Christian with enemies and wants to go to heaven is struggling with it.

It's hard to be a Christian if you have an enemy.

I enjoy watching the Presidential Debates. I am always excited to know which presidential hopefuls will win in the caucuses and primaries and who's backing off from the race. Well, it's not that my opinion about a certain candidate matters, I just got my green card (conditional status) recently and I know I still don't have the right to vote but I do favor one candidate already. I am a democrat. I am for change.

One night as I watched the news, Mitt Romney announced his full support for Mr. John McCain. He was saying all those nice words to Mr. McCain, how good he was and how important he is for the political party. And they shook hands.

REWIND...

One night as I watched the news, Mitt Romney's campaign commercial was flashed on the TV. He was saying all those bad words about Mr. McCain, that he is not the right person for the position. But they [still] shook hands.

On the Democratic side, same thing is happening. Obama and Clinton both said negative and positive words about each other and I saw them... shook hands. Keep your friends close and your enemy closer - a nice cliche.

Last night, I had a bad argument with my hubby. We had another fight over petty things, we watched TV and slept without talking to each other.

FAST FORWARD...

We will ride the snowmobile again and ice-fish. We will watch TV tonight and sleep holding hands just like every single night. Sleeping with an Enemy - a nice yet troubling movie.


---------------------------------------

It's not easy to love our enemies specially if they betrayed us. It's not easy to love our enemies, if they caused us so much pain. It's not easy to love our enemies, if they persecuted us. And it's not easy to love our enemies simply because... they cannot love us back.

Today's reading taught us not just to love our enemy. It's more than being nice to people. It's more than being careful not to offend people. It's more than accepting others despite our difference. And it's more that just loving our enemies but rising up to our own weaknesses.

Today's reading taught us to be strong in times of adversaries... to be stronger in times of temptations... to be strongest in times of persecution. Being a Christian a hard... if we live it apart from God. So let's hold on.


No comments:

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover