Monday, February 25, 2008

a lifetime occupation

NOTE: This was written on Valentine's Day of 2006.

When people talk about challenges, nothing beats those that deal with matters of the heart. Suffice it to say, it is almost impossible to take things lightly for no matter how hard one tries to elude the impact it presents, people will always get emotional one way or the other.

Valentine’s Day is a celebration of love and LOVE is a celebration of one’s deep feeling of compassion for someone who deserves it. Being in love is one of life’s amazing experiences that one can have. And those who have not experienced to fall in love definitely missed out on something momentous.

Being in love should be a lifetime occupation. It maybe an understatement though, but I believe that if people should work hard to stay in love, is it not an occupation or what? For after all, people continuously finding ways to express what’s in their hearts, and to attain it, I know is one hell of a job.

I can’t remember the first time I fell in love. This may come as a surprise for some because I know a lot of people will never forget their first love. Well in my case, it’s a different issue. I can’t remember the first time not because I am too old too remember it or because I had a selective memory dysfunction syndrome or because I totally had amnesia. I can’t remember the first time I fell in love simply because… I am a perpetually a "first-time-first-fall" kind of gal. This maybe something hard to believe but since the moment I was old enough to appreciate the beauty of being with someone special… and began to understand the meaning of affection and the warmth that it brought to my well-being… to the point of experiencing the joy of sharing the same emotion with someone equally appreciative, I knew then that falling in love is so amazing. And each time I fell out of it… I had to stand up and get ready to fall again the second [first] time around… and the third [first] time… and the next and so on.

But falling in love is a hard task. Love is a learning process that everyone has to undergo through without considering one’s limitation. People who went through the process gained varied learning experiences that eventually guided them to the next level. Well, we need to consider the fact too that even in this course… there are those who we regard as – fast and slow learners. And the word “failure” does exist in this field as well. That is why it is not surprising to hear that those who fail have totally given up on love. If falling in love is a hard task… falling out of it is greatly disheartening.

Love is a work out. Like our muscles, we need to work hard to harden our emotion in order to face the trials that come along the way… shape our judgment to be able to free ourselves from egotism and become selfless… strengthen our faith so that we will be able to see beyond what is not good and beautiful… tone our passion to be able to keep your desire burning with pure affection… and make our conviction firm so that we will be able to keep our good values in-tact.

I cannot count how many first loves I had in the past. All I can remember is that, each one is unique, each one is special, each one is educating, each one is illuminating and each one is memorable. I can’t even choose which one is my favorite and which one I do hate the most. All I know is that… the next time I fall (for the Nth first time)… I will be busy working my butt off again… for I’m "in" for another lifetime occupation.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Pin It button on image hover